About Michael's wedding
I know this is not exactly imminent, but because of the amount of money involve it is worthwhile to be having this conversation ahead of time.
Based on the emails I have received back from you all following the informational email, a few topics surface for discussion:
1. Is this something we all value enough to put up the money for? Is sending a delegate the best way to use our resources to show support for Michael, Novia and the family?
2. I understand that Elli (and John) do not feel able to commit to this right now. That is, to Elli going. If we decide we want to spend the money for this, how will we go about deciding between David, myself, and one of the parents?
3. If we did send someone, what percentage of the price tag would the family pick up?
Again, the dates are May 15-20, the cost is between $700-$900.
Based on the emails I have received back from you all following the informational email, a few topics surface for discussion:
1. Is this something we all value enough to put up the money for? Is sending a delegate the best way to use our resources to show support for Michael, Novia and the family?
2. I understand that Elli (and John) do not feel able to commit to this right now. That is, to Elli going. If we decide we want to spend the money for this, how will we go about deciding between David, myself, and one of the parents?
3. If we did send someone, what percentage of the price tag would the family pick up?
Again, the dates are May 15-20, the cost is between $700-$900.

6 Comments:
At 9:48 AM,
Aram in Kenya said…
Okay, and now I will give my opinion.
Elli's wedding was also very far for people to come. Although I felt that we appreciated the love that was offered from afar, people's actual presence made a much stronger statement. I assume it would be a similar situation here. Other than John's kids, is anyone else going to make the trip??
I think they (John & Kris) could use a Spanish speaker. A translator might facilitate much more meaning in the experience than they realize at this point.
So I (tentatively)guess I would say that this is a worthwhile expenditure, although if Aram reads this, I'm sure I'm going to have a talking- to tonight. (We have just put ourselves on a mandatory spending freeze; I trust we will lose motivation for it very soon.) If we start saving now, we might be able to come up with a small pile of beans by May.
At 11:25 AM,
Spc. McFlute said…
I do agree with Debbi that I was very appreciative of the family members who atteded my wedding. It meant a lot to know that people had made such a big effort to be there with us on our special day. However, I understood that having it in Texas would be cost prohibitive...how much more so should Michael understand that Peru is more than a road trip or a night or two in a hotel.
I was close to Michael in high school, but for the last years our contact has been fairly infrequent. I would like to go, but because of various financial obligations, John and I don't feel that it is possible.
Who wants to go (and how to pay for it)is up to you all. I'm afraid that our "small pile of beans" couldn't be more than $75 to $100, but we feel fine about helping out that much.
Love you all!
At 12:20 PM,
Anonymous said…
I wrote this nice, expansive response and it very impolitely deleted it saying that it could not be porcessed. I didn't even use any bad words!
I'd love to to, especially with one of you!!!
When Dad and I were discussing this, we threw out the idea that the person going could/should pay 50-75% of the cost and the rest of us chip in the rest...
If Dad or I would go, how would the cousins whose weddings we have not been able to attend feel about that? We did not attend Brian's or Andrew's.... Daniel is getting married in Aug.; Travis is engaged!--so will probably tie the knot this year sometime; Micah probably will too once he gets around to it...
At 7:06 AM,
Aram in Kenya said…
Dear family,
I have a couple of thoughts about this whole "Michael's wedding" thing. First of all, I don't know if everyone agrees with the idea that we should all chip in to collectively send one "representative" from the Larry and Doris Diener family. If we don't all agree on this, then the question is simply if anyone wants to spend the money to pay their own way. If we do agree, however, then the question is who should go. I haven't really talked with anyone about this, so I'm not even sure who would be interested in going. While I would love to go, help translate, maybe travel a bit, etc., it seems to me that Elli is the logical choice for three reasons: (1) Elli was closer to Michael than any of the rest of us; (2) A ticket from Texas should be cheaper than a ticket from Indianapolis or Columbus; (3) Elli doesn't have any children (as far as I know). Like I said, I'm not sure where Debbi and Aram are at. Brooke has lovingly said that she would be willing to stay with our kids if I were to go, but it still seems to me that Elli going would have less of an effect on her immediate family unit than one of the rest of us going would have on ours (no offense John). So, these are my thoughts. What do the rest of you think?
Love,
David
At 7:13 AM,
Aram in Kenya said…
Mom, I don't think you need to worry too much about other cousin's feelings. I doubt anyone is keeping track of this stuff. I know I'm sure not. And as far as Steiner politics go, there are much more important things than who is at a wedding--say, for example, what is on the menu.
As is his custom, Aram is muttering about us flying around the world all the time to visit each other. We will figure out what size a pile of beans we could donate and let you all know, so we can know what we're dealing with.
At 12:02 PM,
David and Brooke Diener said…
Hi all, I say we get all our beans together and make bean soup. It's COLD up here!!
Post a Comment
<< Home